Wednesday 21 April 2010

Bermondsey girls

Although I may not be squarely representative of the average Bermondsey mum, I nevertheless love this area and have enormous respect for all mums, wherever they are from. 

So I was upset to read a comment on the SE1 Forum recently referring to a visit to Castello's Restaurant on Jamaica Road, describing the food as 'passable' (which I thought was unfair for a start) and the clientele as like a 'chavs convention'.  It went on to describe a game 'Spot the Tramp Stamps' they played to pass the time- (does this mean tattoos ??)   Clearly this person felt superior to everyone else there and felt confident enough about that to post it onto the community forum - presumably expecting lots of other people to agree.   

I can't be the only one to find this sort of snide attitude offensive although the more I think about it, the more I realise that it forms a significant part of the print media we are all too familiar with.   It's a way of getting a cheap laugh I suppose.   Without getting all amateur psychologist about it, I wonder if all this doesn't reveal a secret insecurity about the sort of person who uses words like 'chav' as an insult.    They might not envy the lifestyle but I wonder if they don't secretly envy the confidence.

As for this Bermondsey Mum, I am always in awe of the fact that no matter how unexpected, the moment the first day of Summer arrives, your average Bermondsey girl is out there wearing the very latest trend, with hair and skin tone to match.  Needless to say, it takes Bermondsey Mum a bit longer to get her look together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment